Monday 18 November 2013

DIY Marley Twists

So I finally did it, I installed Marley Twists in my hair on the weekend and I love them!
It was my first time doing extensions on my hair, all by myself. I have not had any extensions or weaves in my hair for more than four years, because of a bad scalp experience. I thought, I would not be able to do it again. Well I was wrong.

Me rocking my Marley Twists - I'm in love!

I did some research and found out that I could wash the extension hair in water and vinegar to remove the harsh chemicals and dirt on the hair. I did this earlier in the week. So far so good, my scalp is doing well.
I also lived on Youtube during my free time and stocked blogs, there are plenty of resources online.

So I know you are l really reading, to see how I did it, here goes:

1.       The day before, I pampered my hair with a deep conditioning treatment, a mix of protein and hydrating conditioners (Tresemme, Keratin Smooth and Salon Silk), along with coconut oil. I sat under the dryer for 30 mins. I rinsed, applied Knot Today leave-in, and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and twisted my hair in the sections I wanted for my Marley Twists. Note: I’m not a big hair parter and I wanted them to look natural. I decided only to part the front perimeter of my hair, to ensure that my twist looked tidy.


2.   The next morning, I started my Marley Twists, using the invisible twisting method. See video by Cassandre Beccai. I love her videos: 



3.       Before adding the hair, I added a little more of the Curl Enhancer Smoothie, sealed with shea butter and a bit of Eco Styler for hold.

4.       I used two pieces of Marley hair per twist. My hair is fine, but high in density, I wanted to avoid scalpy patches and it worked. I used Freetress Marley Braid hair in colours B2 and P4/27, for a spring of colour.


5.       I ended up with 32 twists and used 4-1/2 bags of hair.

6.       When done, the next day I burned the ends and curled them in hot water, using flexirods.

What I learned
It is definitely trial and error and took me about six hours to do, not including snack and washroom breaks.
The hair will unravel at the end, so you will need to seal it in some way.
It’s important to note that, I did not grab the very front of my edges in the twists, to avoid damage. I’m fine with a few curls, I think they make the twist look more authentic as well.  
I loved having the control over the size of the sections and the tightness. For me, I’m fine will re-doing a couple twists if need be, because I know I’m not pulling my hair out and that means it is a real protective style. There is nothing worse than having extensions, and not knowing what you will end up with after the take down.

Maintenance
I will moisturize with aloe vera juice and a drop of coconut oil when needed.
I plan to wash my scalp with apple cider vinegar and water. Let’s see how that goes, or I will find a good dry shampoo. I’m open to suggestions!

Will I do it again?
Yes, without a doubt. I’m proud that I was able to do this myself, especially it never thought I would ever try this, but then again, four years ago I didn’t think I was going to be natural either. Things change and so do your capabilities, when you put your mind to it. I plan to keep these in for three to four weeks. The next time, I plan to try Senegalese twists.

Tell me what you think or if you have any tips to share.

Blessings and Curls,

Kim aka B-Curlie


   

No comments:

Post a Comment