Friday 16 November 2012

Featured Big Chopper - Amanda Henry


Hometown: Ajax, ON

How long were you relaxed: 

I have been relaxed on and off for 20 years.

Do you remember your first perm and what was it like:

My first perm experience was back in 1992 when I was in grade 4. My mom was no longer able to style my hair for school due to her full-time job and decided that relaxing my hair would be the best option. She felt that I would now be able to manage my hair for myself on a daily basis. The first time I ran my hands through my hair I was in shock! I felt like I had the same flowing hair as the other girls in my class and that I finally fit in.
Amanda with relaxed hair.

What made you to decide to big chop:

I finally had enough of the relaxer life this past summer. I was tired of having to flat iron and curl my hair on a regular basis and had started to wear my hair slicked down. Also, I wanted the “wash and go” life for when I worked out at the gym and I resorted to putting my hair in Senegalese Twists to avoid having to deal with it. However, my scalp and hairline did not agree. It was after seeing some of my friends with natural hair that I felt that it was time to make the transition.

How do you feel now that you’ve taken the plunge:

I definitely think I made the right decision! I love how it is so easy to manage and have gained back a great deal of time when getting ready for events, to do other things.

What type of feedback did you get from your loved ones:

My close loved ones and friends have been nothing but supportive. I’ve received positive feedback from strangers and have been told that the cut really suits my overall look.
Amanda rocking her fresh and sassy big chop.

Although you are newly natural, do you have any favourite products or products you are looking forward to trying:


I’m still learning about what’s out there in the market, but I have invested in the Keracare line to start with. However, I am still looking for a product that meets my needs as a daily moisturizer.


The best part of being natural for me is:

The best part for me has to be the idea of knowing that I am 100% free of chemicals. Previously I had difficulty embracing my natural texture and now I have a greater appreciation.
 
Blessings and Curls,
B-Curlie

 

2 comments: