Monday 12 March 2012

Fighting Scalp Issues


A while back I mentioned that I have dermatitis, since I was a child really. At the time my mom and I didn’t have a clue what it was. To put it in a nutshell, it’s when you have over active oil glands. The glands release too much oil and creates the perfect environment to develop blockages, build-up, flakes and inflammation. Not PRETTY or FUN!
I recently had a flair-up, my scalp was giving me a hard time. There were a couple weeks where it didn’t matter what I put on my scalp, it just didn’t want anything to do with me. It was so itchy and driving me insane.


I finally broke down and went to Shoppers Drug Mart for some scalp meds. In the past I’ve used Nizoral or Nioxin, I’ve experienced OK results with both, but I thought I needed to try something new or at least new to me. Head & Shoulders of all shampoos caught my eye. It’s full of sulfates and other chemicals and not natural at all, but I was really at my breaking point. So I picked up Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength (active ingredient: 1% selenium sulfide) and since I was in the risk taking mood I also grabbed Scalpicin (active ingredient: 3% salicylic acid) an after shampoo or daily treatment for dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis as well.

When treating my scalp, I change my hair washing technique in order to maximize success.  Here are the steps I take. Matter of fact, it would not hurt you to use this technique end for a regular wash.
Technique:
-          I put a little bit of shampoo in a shallow container
-          Grab my old perm brush
-          Section my hair in four or in the affected areas
-          Spray the section of hair with water, so that it’s damp not soaking wet
-          Part the section my hair into tiny sections
-          I then use the brush and apply the shampoo directly to my scalp. I repeat until I run out of hair in the section and then move on to the next.
-          Once complete, I cover my head with a plastic cap and let it rest for a minimum of 30 minutes.
-          When time is up, I wash my hair as usual
My results were amazing! I was not sure about the Head & Shoulders since it didn’t tingle as other medicated shampoos often do. For me the tingle makes me think something is working, but Head and Shoulders, just smelled good.
The shampoo didn’t leave any residue on my scalp or hair. It looked and felt great. It did make my hair a little dry, but nothing a good conditioner, leave-in conditioner and sealer can’t fix. My scalp was really the star here.  Let me tell you, it was in heaven, extremely clean with no signs of dermatitis. I applied the Scalpicin right after shampooing and that sealed the deal. Now that really tingled my scalp, but it subsided after a few moments. Then I styled my hair as usual.
I’m amazed, since I have now gone four days without the need to scratch or even re-apply the meds. I will probably do so tonight just to keep it on the run though, but so far so good.
Weigh in … have you had any experiences with scalp issues?

Blessings and Curls,
B-Curlie

No comments:

Post a Comment