Thursday 19 January 2012

Featured Curlie - Bridget


Name:
Bridget, but better known as simply Bee :) from '83 To Infinity


Hometown:
London, ON (shout out to my fellow UWO Mustangs!)


First year of curlieness:
After transitioning for a year, I finally started rocking my curls in August 2008.

Bee when she was relaxed


Why I went curlie:
I had been lucky all my life to have a healthy head of hair. I started begging for a relaxer when I didn't understand why my hair wasn't like my classmates', and Mom finally obliged me when I was 12. In the 10+ years that followed, I thought my hair was indestructible. Through routine relaxers and indulging in different hair colours, I took great care of my hair and it seemed to flourish...until one day when I realized that my hair was breaking off and not growing back. I remember looking at one woman's pitiful, scraped-back, thin ponytail...and realized my hair looked JUST LIKE THAT. I ended up looking back at photos of my thick, healthy natural hair and started investigating how I could get back to that. 

Bee after her big chop


Regime and products: When I first started wearing my hair naturally, I tried almost any and every product under the sun..name the brand and I tried it. For my hair and lifestyle, I've now found that simpler is better. 

Bee in all her curly glory

I co-wash/detangle about every two weeks with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, then usually set my hair in 10-20 twists using a mix of shea butter and jojoba oil. I either leave them in for a few days, or undo them once dry. For a leave-in or to refresh my curls, I use a bit of water and either my Hello Hydration or coconut oil. When I feel my hair needs it (I'm terrible at forced schedules), I deep condition with Elasta QP's DPR-11, and mix it with honey, EVOO, and jojoba oil.

Right now, I'm addicted to Oyin Handmade's Burnt Sugar Pomade, which I use or everything from twisting, to slicking down edges, to smoothing my hair when pulling it into a bun. I try other products here and there, but I'm trying to keep it simple these days :)



The best part of being curlie for me is:
The versatility! All I knew of my natural hair before was the plaits my mom would put in them, and the single braids I would get done for a treat every now and then. Had I known what my hair was capable of then, I probably never would have relaxed. Wet sets, dry sets, Bantu knots, twists, braids, flat irons...everything gives me a different look, and my hair is the healthiest it's ever been!

No comments:

Post a Comment