Monday 19 December 2011

Jane Carter's Curl Defining Cream Review

So as I mentioned in a previous post, I got Jane Carter’s Curl Defining Cream at an iHEARTmyHair event a couple weeks ago.
I heard mixed reviews (in person and on youtube), the natural who brought it to the event, said it left a white residue in her hair and just was not what she expected or wanted. Others who tried it before said they liked it for twisted outs and blowouts. I still decided to give it a try, especially since I could give it an unbiased review without purchasing it.  
So this weekend was the moment of truth. I decided to try it on a twist-out.  Here is the claim from Jane Carter website:
Eliminate curl shrinkage! Curl Defining Cream is light-weight, all natural product formulated to lengthen and define your natural curl pattern while drying to a soft, shiny, bouncy finish.
Water soluble, Curl Defining Cream washes and dries clean without leaving any film, offering the true luxury of “wash and wear” hair!
Ingredients:Purified Water, Extracts of Anthemis Noblis Flower (Camomile), Symphytum Officinal Leaf (Comfrey), Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail), Urtica Dioica (Nettle), Rosemarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf, Humulus Lupulus (Hops),of Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba), Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Natural Vitamin E, Glycerin, Propanediol, Poly-quaternium-200, Citric Acid , Polyquaternium-37, Ceteareth 20 , Phen-oxyethanol, Caprylyl, Glycol, Sorbic acid, Fragrance.
 
Since wash-n-gos are not my strong suit, I decided try it on staple style - twist-out.
So I washed my hair with Live Clean's Apple Cider Clarifying Shampoo, conditioned with Say Yes to Cucumbers, my leave-in conditioner is the Kinky Curly Knot Today (Kimmaytube method). After applying the my leave-in, I started to section and detangle. After detangling each section, I applied the Curl Defining Cream and started to twist my hair into medium-sized twists.
Let me say that is product has a lovely fresh citrus scent. So if you like citrus, you will love this. The smell also lingers on your hair for at least a day after application – which was fine with me.
When I finished twisting, my twists were slightly elongated, soft and shiny. I wrapped my hair with a scarf and then went to bed.
I took them out yesterday afternoon. I coated my twists with a little bit of coconut oil and gently unraveled them. I have to say that I’m really happy with the outcome. My hair was defined, very moist and bouncy.
So for me, Jane Carter’s Curl Defining Cream is a winner. I will definitely use the rest of the jar up and I think it may become one of my staple products. The only thing I will not like is buying it, since it is quite pricey at $38 CDN for a 16 oz jar. For right now I will live in bliss … and see what I can do when I'm on empty... that will be a sad day. 
See pictures below of my twist-out (front and back), using the product.


Have you tried it? What did you think? Or do you have another product review to share, email me at canadiancurlie2010@gmail.com.

Blessings and Curls,
B-Curlie

3 comments:

  1. YEAHHHHH I am so HAPPY that you did this review and LOVED IT! YEAAHHHH!!!!! I swear by this stuff and it's really good on blow outs too... I am so happy you like this Jane Carter product. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really nice. I've used the Kinky Curly Custard and like the resulting look, but not how the product feels in my hair - very tacky. Was there any residue-y feeling with this product?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anya and Ardean! I do really like the defining cream. To answer your question Ardean, no I did not have any residue at all. My hair loves this stuff. I may even give my shea butter a little break for a while...and believe me that is a big deal for me to say that. I'm not a fan of Kinky Curly Custard either...just not for me.

    ReplyDelete