Tuesday 27 December 2011

A Doll Like Us

                                         

In the fall one of my relatives informed me that she had written a letter to Maplelea Girls doll company, because she found that as a Canadian, her daughter was not being represented in their dolls as a Black Canadian. Maplelea Dolls pride themselves on giving Canadian girls from different backgrounds dolls that look like them and who would have the same cultural traditions and activities that they do.



                                         Current Maplelea Girls dolls.       Photo: Maplelea Girls

I was intrigued and decided to contact the makers of Maplelea Girls myself. I gave them some resources for Black history in Canada and mentioned that their are many Black Canadians who take pride in their culture and who appreciate seeing a Black Canadian doll that truly represented them.

Within 24 hours I heard from the President of Maplelea Girls, Kathryn Morton. I really appreciated her prompt response and she told me that Maplelea  Girls  has plans to bring a Black-Canadian doll to the market in 2012. Needless to say I was super excited. The idea of having a doll on the market in Canada for little black girls, that looked like them and did the things they did was fabulous.

Now here is the best part she would like feedback from the readers of Canadian Curlies and find out what naturals want in a Black Canadian doll. So I've created a survey link (see below) and I urge you to make your voice be heard. Be sure to think about what you would like this doll to look like and what persona you would like to have. Let's give the little ones something we didn't have a doll like us and share the link with others.

Black Canadian Doll survey linkhttp://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LLNCXGM

Blessings and Curls,
B-Curlie

2 comments:

  1. I gave my 2 cents :)

    "Should represent the diversity of cultures represented in the black Canadian diaspora (Black canadians originating in Africaville in Nova Scotia as well as 1st gen Canadians (like myself), originating from the West Indies and Africa."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for doing the survey Ardean! I know it would be great to see everyone represented such are Black Nova Scotians like yours truly :-) or a first generation Black Canadians. I'm excited to see what they come up with.

      Delete