Wednesday 17 August 2011

Flower or no flower

When I first went natural you could find me in my neighbourhood Ardene or Claire’s at least once a week. I was addicted to hair accessories. I soon decided to try my hand at creating my own. I invested in a hot glue gun, fabrics and zippers. I had found love once again. I loved creating my own stylish hair accessories every fabric had different possibilities and style combinations.

Now that my hair has grown longer, I do not wear my accessories as often and I think it’s because I’m starting to feel more comfortable with my hair naked so to speak. Even though I transitioned for nine months and had 4-1/2 inches of growth, it was still the shortest length I had my hair since I was a baby. So I think it was normal at least for me it was to have a few insecurities in the beginning.

When I started my making the accessories it was so much fun creating colourful, unique accessories that no one else would have. I was able to express myself and it was very fulfilling. I now wear my beloved accessories once or twice a week to complement my outfit.

My point is I understand the need for new naturals to accessorize whether it’s hair pieces, earrings or make-up. The question you need to ask yourself is why are you accessorizing? Is it because you aren’t comfortable with your hair or do you just want to add to your already amazing style. I learned that my soul and my curls are already my best accessories, everything else are just colourful additions.
(above) Me with one of my favourite creations 

(below) A few of the flower hair accessories that I made.





Blessings and Curls,

B-Curlie

No comments:

Post a Comment